Large, light and spacious 2 bedroom (with air conditioning), 2 bathroom apartment with large terrace and even larger roof terrace enjoying views across the town. The location of the apartment is close to the famous church, five mins walk to markets, ferry and restaurants
5 * apartment registered with Portuguese authorities, requirement by law since December 2014, LA20408
Greystones is a large two bedroom apartment, up a flight of stairs, nestled within the sights and sounds of Olhao, close to the old church, just a few minutes walk to the waterfront where restaurants, cafes & shops abound within this old fishing town of cobbled stone streets, Moorish-style whitewashed square houses and typical stairs leading to the flat roof terraces. The apartment has been fully modernised offering accommodation of a high standard, two very modern bathrooms, both air-conditioned, good quality linen and towels, a kitchen that any good cook would appreciate. Free wi-fi and a superb roof terrace with recliners offering magnificent views across the town. The other terrace has a BBQ, and a variety of seating/dining options.
We personally welcome all our guests when they arrive . We, as the owners, live on the property if not on the island of Armona so can be of service if required during a guest's stay and are happy to provide recommendations.
Olhão is a surprise. The fishermen's quarter of old Olhão is a warren of narrow twisting streets. Close by moored are the brightly colored boats after their return from work at sea. The morning bustle of the market by the water's edge and the outdoor cafes and restaurants where you can while away the time create a fascinating kaleidoscope of sensations for people strolling through the town.
Public transport is close by, a mere 10 minute walk from the apartment. Local trains and buses run the length of the Algarve. There is no need for a car. However if our guests have a car, parking is free in the old town, but you may have to hunt a bit in the summer season. On the waterfront you will have to pay.
Interaction with Guests
Previous guests have consistently commented that the apartment is incredibly light and spacious relative to other accommodation in the town where bedrooms can be small and cramped and that our pictures do not do justice to its space, light, fixtures and fittings. These comments are seen on another booking web site which is the platform that is used for 90% of our bookings.
All facilities that form part of the apartment including the roof terrace. Lower courtyard is for the owners
We interact with guests as much as they would like. This usually depends on whether they know the area or not.
Olhão is a suburb of Faro and is located just to the east of the Algarve's capital city. It is a seaport city and the main industry is not tourism but rather sardine and tuna fishing and canning.
This city is very Moorish in its architecture and general atmosphere. The older homes are distinctly Moorish in design with their white flat roofs, and these two and three story homes are often clumped together and no two are alike. The only similarities between the homes are the terraces, and according to history it is from these terraces that wives would watch for the return of their fishermen husbands.
The primary attraction of Olhão is the central market which is arguably the most picturesque and animated of all the markets in the Algarve. The market specializes in fresh fish as well as local produce such as honey, fruit and fresh chickens and eggs. This market is a must see for tourists and residents frequent this market as the primary source for fresh food. Located along the waterfront a pleasant promenade is in front of the market and is lined with casual cafés for enjoying the afternoon watching the boats and people strolling by.
There are a variety of historical landmarks in Olhão including the 17th century Chapel of Our Lady of Solitude. There are two other 17th century churches well worth visiting.
There are two islands off the coast near Olhão called Fuzeta and Armona Islands. They are easily reached by ferry boats that make regular trips to these islands and remain one of the best choices in the Algarve for water sports and activities. These islands are within the protected area of the Ria Formosa Natural Park and as such offer the best natural conditions for both soaking up the sun or partaking in any of the canoeing, sailing, diving, snorkeling, windsurfing and other activities that are available.
Olhão is a large city like many others but its close proximity to Faro is proving very attractive to home owners. With a variety of older areas in the city being revived with renovations and clean up as well as areas under new development, the city is growing at a measured pace. Olhão has a variety of properties available from historic merchant villas in the heart of the historic area of the city to newer townhouse, apartment and house developments on the outskirts. We would argue that Olhão is a city to be watched as more and more attention is given to this relatively untouched area and more buyers move in to take advantage of all that the Algarve has to offer. We are new to Airbnb but reviews of property can be seen on SimplyOwners.
We expect guests to leave the property as they found it, clean and tidy.
In addition, the RENTER agrees to the following terms & conditions:
1. Check-in/out: Check-in - 3:00 pm on your reservation start date. Check-out - 11:00 am on your reservation end date. This allows time to properly clean the apartment. There are times when this can be varied and we will work to accommodate your flight arrival and departure times. Key pickup arrangements, where applicable, will be communicated before arrival.
2. Changeover day: We have no set changeover day thus enabling guests to take advantage of the best flight deals.
3. Cleaning Service: A cleaning service can be provided at a cost to the RENTER. A change of linen and towels will be provided on a weekly basis (not beach towels). Any cleaner will not wash dishes or remove rubbish from property, etc.
4. Noise Regulations: The apartment is located in a family-oriented area, offering privacy and tranquillity. Therefore, no loud partying is allowed, you are required to respect your neighbours. Noise after 11pm is not acceptable. The RENTER’s stay may be terminated if this condition is not met.
5. Occupants: RENTER accepts that the maximum number of occupants is 4 unless special permission is granted by OWNER; no pets allowed; access will be refused or terminated if this condition is not met. The lead person who entered into the booking arrangement accepts that he/she must be present throughout the entire holiday stay.
6. Property Access: OWNER will have unrestricted access to the apartment as required. RENTER will be advised in advance if OWNER should need to access the rented property.
7. Security: Lock doors, close windows and alarm property when you are away. Close electric shutters as an extra security measure and to keep property cool in summer. Double-lock the entrance door from the street at all times; when going out, remember to set the alarm and disarm when returning; Should the alarm be triggered unintentionally, the RENTOR should inform the OWNER by way of an email/text message.
8. Breakages Deposit: The OWNER will reduce the breakages deposit refund: If there are any breakages or damages to the apartment or contents; if any contents are missing; if refuse is not removed; or if excessive cleaning post stay is required. RENTER will report any breakages or damages to the OWNER as soon as they occur so that they can be resolved for the next guest. For hygiene reasons, a wet/soiled bed will result in the RENTER being charged for a new mattress.
9. Self-Catering: Means RENTER to provide own groceries and household goods although OWNER will provide beach towels, some toilet paper, soap, shampoo and some cleaning products. RENTER will use apartment furnishings and equipment in the same layout and configuration as on arrival.
10. Furniture: The furniture inside the property is not designed for external use and should not be taken outside on to the terrace. If recliners are moved around, please avoid damaging the paintwork and return them to where they were on arrival.
11. Roof terrace: RENTERS use the roof terrace at their own risk. There are separate glasses and dinner ware for use on the roof terrace. These are specifically for use on the terrace and not for the beach. There are other items in the kitchen area for beach use. Please do not bring chinaware and glasses up the stairs.
12. Smoking: No smoking inside the apartment; please restrict smoking to the balconies/terraces. Damage from cigarette burns will be charged at full replacement cost to the RENTER.
13. Suntan Oils & Creams: Take care not to sit on any furniture (including sun loungers) and bedding when using these products as they are impossible to remove from upholstery; we ask that you use a towel when sitting on upholstery if you have sun-cream on. We appreciate your cooperation to maintain the high standard of the property for your next visit.
14. Travel Insurance: The RENTER will ensure he/she has adequate Travel Insurance and a 24- hour emergency telephone number will be provided. The use of the accommodation and amenities are offered on the condition that they are used entirely at the RENTER’s own risk. The OWNER cannot accept responsibility for accidents, injuries, illness, death or loss or damage to RENTER’s property or belongings on or off the property, including motor vehicles, however caused. There is a safe in the apartment which we encourage you to use.
15. Washing Machine: Liquid detergent must be used; Powder detergent will calcify, block the drain pipes and may cause flooding; Liquid detergent is available at all supermarkets.
16. Winter/Long-Stay Rentals: For Winter stays (Nov-Mar) or any long-stays in excess of a month, all utilities (electricity and gas) are charged to RENTER at cost and collected by OWNER or his/her agent.
17. Internet: Via DSL WiFi Device (router). It provides “Medium Speed” internet, dependent on the Internet Service Provider. It enables you to connect your own devices. Internet is on a self-service basis and assumes the usual level of technical capability to connect to WIFI.
I am Irish by birth, lived in South Africa for 23 years before moving to the UK. I now spend my time between Portugal, South Africa and UK. I love good weather, good food and wine and enjoy meeting new people on my travels.