Our renovated 1905 home is quietly tucked away in Historic Morehead Hill, a Durham neighborhood just southwest of the city center. There a sunny and peaceful room, cozy bed and full, private bathroom await you after a day of sightseeing. From here, it's a 10-minute walk to Downtown, DPAC, & Duke East. See the "Getting Around" section and the map below to help you determine how far we are from your favorite spot. Continental breakfast included. We encourage you to read our entire listing.
Our historic home built around 1905 has been completely renovated and updated. The home is located in a diverse, emerging, historic neighborhood called Morehead Hill (see the Neighborhood section!). It is very safe, active, and near everything if you're willing to walk (we and our neighbors walk just about everywhere - see the Getting Around section!).
Overall the home is just shy of 1600 sq/ft, with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Your bedroom, which has a full-size bed and an attached, private, full bath, is located in the front of the house, just inside the front door for your ease in coming and going. Plus, the room has both honeycomb shades and black-out drapes for adjusting your desired level of privacy and light. Your quiet, sunny room includes a desk, reading chair, and the bed is extra comfy with a pillow top.
People spend a lot of time outside enjoying the beautiful North Carolina weather and our neighborhood is no different. There is a large front porch for sipping some tea and a wonderful screened in back deck for morning coffee or relaxing with a cold beer. While you can't see it from the street, our backyard is like a little green cave with mature trees and a little creek. We especially love how private, quiet and wooded it is even though we are so close to downtown. From our screened-in back porch we've spotted foxes, owls, hawks, raccoons, opossums, and an abundance of squirrels and birds.
Guests will have a private room with attached full bath. You are welcome to relax anywhere in the common rooms of the house or outside - trust us you'll want to sit on the deck. There are a few drawers and hangers available for your clothes. If you need an iron or hair dryer, we've got that to borrow. We will provide access to WiFi and/or internet. You are welcome to drop a few things in the fridge or freezer. I'm more than happy to cook for you when you've requested in advance, so any other "cooking" is limited to using the microwave or toaster. If you are a CIA-trained chef, you might be given permission to use my kitchen if requested in advance and expect that Alice will hang on your every move to pick up new skills. We do not have any TVs or Cable, so if you must have TV to fall asleep, you'll have to make due with the internet or your iPod. We have just about everything you might need - toiletries, towels, extra blankets - you know "stuff". If you have something specific you need like a juicer because you just must juice every morning, please ask. BTW, we don't have a juicer, so if you can't use a blender, you should bring your own :)
We will try to keep your stay the way you'd like to stay. You want to break open some wine and share it with us - by all means. You want to quietly sleep until noon and just nod in our direction when you see us - go for it. Since we are offering breakfast (until 10:30am), we'll be around to share it with you and provide any information you'll need but we'll keep it low-key. Alice makes herself readily available should you need anything and will gladly try to make your stay interactive and communicative. If you'd like someone to cook for you instead of eating out at one of Durham's amazing restaurants, please let's talk. Alice is a pretty good cook would be more than glad to share a meal or make you a picnic to take to the gardens. During the work week we're up by 6:30 am making coffee. We'll try to keep it down, but the coffee grinder is loud.
We need to be present for your initial check in and may check your ID. There is no lock box or remote entry.
We drink dark roast Starbucks coffee almost exclusively. If you need decaf or a light roast - please let us know.
If you are eating breakfast with us, please let us know about any dietary concerns. A continental breakfast of an assortment of cereals, fresh fruit, breads, spreads, yogurts, teas, milk and coffee is provided until 10:30am.
We warned you about the juicer!
**OVERVIEW: Look, we hate having to lay out rules as much as you hate having to follow them. So we've identified the things that are REALLY important to us so please read them and be respectful of our needs so we can be great hosts for you.**
* BE ON TIME: We'll expect you to work with us to find a mutually acceptable check-in time and commit to arriving at the agreed upon time.
* PROFILE PICTURE: Please upload a profile picture where we can identify you by sight. This is our only way of ensuring we let you in and not a stranger.
* USE THE ALARM SYSTEM: The home has an alarm system and we will teach you how to use it. You will be given a personal alarm code when you are here and are expected to use the system when we're not home or sleeping.
* NO ENTERTAINING; We are perfectly happy having people pop by to pick up our guests, but we would prefer that you not use our home to entertain them. We'd be happy to help you find other places to spend time with your family and friends.
* OVERNIGHT GUESTS: All overnight guests must be approved in advance through the booking process and are subject to an additional fee.
* COOKING: You are welcome to use the microwave, glassware and dishes for anything you've brought for yourself. That means the stove, oven, cookware and knives are to be used only by us. If you desire a home-cooked meal instead of eating out, you must work that out in advance.
* NO EATING IN YOUR ROOM: If you intend to eat at home, please sit down in the kitchen, dining room, or on the back porch instead of eating in your room. Drinks can be had anywhere in the house.
* ANIMALS: Please do not instant book if you plan on bringing your dog. We charge an additional fee for your pet's overnight accommodations that you must agree to in advance. We cannot commit to dog-sitting so unattended dogs must be crated. All animals (support or family pet) must be announced in advance of a reservation and potty outside, not in crates, boxes or cages inside the home (sorry, we cannot accept cats, rabbits, ferrets, birds, hedgehogs, mini pigs, etc. due to health and sanitation issues).
* NO SMOKING: There is no smoking of any kind in the house or on the deck and porch. If you need to smoke, you can step out to the curb and pocket your butt.
* QUIET HOURS: We prefer to keep it to a dull roar after midnight and before 7am. Ya gotta sleep some time. Waking us up in the middle of the night is not cool.
* NO CHILDREN UNDER 12 - We're childless and have never learned how to make our home safe for small kids so it's not - trust us. 1905 home = lead paint, 3 historic open fireplaces, uneven reclaimed hardwood floors.
* LEAVE BEHIND WHAT YOU DON'T USE: We'll do our best to anticipate what you may need by way of extra towels, blankets or such. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap are available while you are staying with us along with some other spiffs and we expect you to leave behind what you don't use during your stay. If you don't see what you need, please ask.
* TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENTS: If you are hot or cold, please ask us to adjust the air rather than adjusting it yourself. You have an adjustable overhead fan in your room for your personal comfort. Thermostat set at 76F in the summer and 68F in the winter. We'll adjust a few degrees to accommodate guest preferences.
* FRIDGE USAGE AND BREAKFAST: Feel free to put a few things in the fridge - leftovers, beer, snacks - whatever. We'll have breakfast and coffee for you served until 10:30am. If you have a request, please tell me since we might not have it and you can't be mad at us for that. There is always fresh fruit and toast. We drink dark roast Starbucks, so if you don't like it caffeinated, too dark or too strong, let's discuss it before you arrive.
* USE OF OUR HOME: You are welcome in all common areas of the home and our yard. Want to play some music or watch a show on your laptop - go for it. You may want to bring headphones if you watch during quiet hours. Remember - we don't have a TV.
* ASK IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR ISSUE: The key is, we're almost always here, just ask if you need something or want to know something. We appreciate the opportunity to make things more comfortable for you. If we aren't here, just text. We'll point you in the right direction.
**Whew! Let's do something more fun now. :)
We are: fun, vivacious, thoughtful, gourmet cooks, drinkers of fine wine, beer, and whiskey, love entertaining, enjoy meeting new people, always learning, dog lovers, handy, professionals, middle-aged, mostly healthy, not criminals, pajama wearers, and one of us is easily distracted by shiny things.