Stay onboard at an old westlander / platbodem boat from 1899; it was renovated in the sixties and has one bedroom. The boat lies just minutes from city center, between the Spaarndammerstraat and Haarlemmerstraat; it's more camping than hotel more cosy than comfort!
It's rather simple and small, the kitchen is tiny, the bed big enough for two. There is no luxury, only the bed, some shelves, a toilet and a closet, but you're not allowed to do poo-poos on board, only pee :)
It's only for people who can swim. You have to clime on the boat. Be aware when it's wet, it's slippery then. Everything which falls into the water is gone for ever. Be careful. Dogs must be trained shipdogs. Kids ought to be wachted carefully.
I will wellcome you and let you know everything about the boat and the neighbourhood. We can stay in contact if you need anything.
1. Boats were built the move stuff, not people. Therefore the ceilings are not very high. If you are taller than 1.85m, you will not be able to stand up straight everywhere.
2. Street-view: see photos.
3. I can't host more than 2 persons. It's not save for small children! You need to be able to swim, too!
Please note that I'm offering the entire boat, but you are only allowed to pee in the canal (see picture toilet); for any other business you have to go to the next pub, or you do it like we do on vacation: we put a plastic bag around the toilet seat and through it away in the garbage bin next to the boat. Please do not throw paper or anything else in the toilet except your pee.
4. It’s small, but cozy and noisy, for people who haven’t slept on an old boat it’s something rather uncomfortable.
5. Food: you can stock some food, but there is no refrigerator, nor running water or electricity.
6. Smoking: you can smoke outside on the deck.
7. Pets: I’ve got a lovey dog, but for dog’s that are not used to ships or boats, this is not a pleasant experience. We had friends coming over and they wanted to spend the night, but their old Labrador refused and they had to leave earlier.
8. Heater: when it does cold, it’s cold, but we’ve slept there during the winter and it’s mostly nice under the blankets, but COLD.
9. Key: I'll give you a key to the house and obviously, return it to me. I will come to the boat when you arrive and when you leave, so we will see each other.
10. Other folks: Do not bring in any other people.
11. Neighbors: the boat lies in a neighborhood with kids playing around and people sleeping during the night; please respect their night sleep and keep it down after a certain hour, when you sit on deck and look at the stars above you or talk all right long on deck.
Caution: If you have problems with anxiety, this is not the place to be. It’s an open boat; and in Amsterdam’s inner city it is possible that other boat will lie next to yours and people could walk on your boat to the shore. That happened to the daughter of my friend, who stayed with her girlfriend during the gay parade; the canals are crowded then and then woke up due to some footsteps. But, please do not worry, nothing happens and the police station is next door and they are very friendly. We’ve got a small lock on the door, but it is only possible to look it from outside; therefore people with anxiety problems should not book this boat.