This one room efficiency has a private bath and a new kitchen. It is a pleasant one mile walk to the Salt River National Park with other trails in the area. Cook for yourself or visit the Palms Resort which is close. The grounds are well maintained.
The space being rented is a self contained efficiency unit with no access to or from my residence area. On the front access, there is a gravel yard where I park my car surrounded by beautiful flowering plants and trees which you are more than welcome to pick. The back sliding glass door exits to the Gallery which runs the entire length of the back of the house. Feel free to wander anywhere on the grounds to enjoy the view or pick flowers take pictures.
The only part of the property which is not accessible is my personal residence.
I am always delighted to interact with my guests. I have lived and worked on St. Croix for 35 years and still enjoy my island home. I raised two children on the island who moved back to America and are quite successful. When they come back to visit they stay in the unit and visit all the tourist attractions. In this way I keep abreast of the Best St. Croix has to offer.
If you are staying more than a couple of days, be sure to explore all of the drawers, and closets. The efficiency has been used exclusively for family gatherings before 2015 when I started on short term rentals. All my family member have difference things that are important to their comfort. Over time there is quite a collection of "stuff" that you are more than welcome to enjoy.
As you enter, you notice the combined bedroom and sitting area. The books are mostly cookbooks with a few business and art books. Have fun and explore the library and even find a few good recipes. If you find something you want to try, I probably have spices that you can borrow for the duration of your stay to make something unique. For everyday cooking like tomato sauce, you can find bay, basil and oregano growing in my yard that you can pick and use.
Across, from the sitting area is a closet and the entry to the bathroom. Surrounding the sink in the bathroom are baskets full of goodies, just the type of stuff that TSA doesn't allow you to bring. There is bug spray, sun blocks of varying strength and various toiletries,such as soap, shampoo, shaving cream and toothpaste. I don't guarantee any consistent supply or brand as this is where I go when I run out. There are also first aid supplies in one basket and Aloe grows wild in my gardens. The raw aloe sap helps for sunburn but it will stain your clothes, Finally, there is a basket with curling irons and a blow drier for hair.
The living room closet has a lot of stuff that is desirable for the beach depending on how much stuff you want to carry with you. There are two different sized coolers and a few jugs for liquids such as sangria. Yes, you can carry alcoholic beverages to our beaches, but not into somebody's bar or restaurant area. There is an old beach bag and some big hats to provide shade at the beach. At the bottom left there are some old towels which can be used for the beach. Leave the good dark blue bath towels in the room. For those planning a big beach party the red quilt on the bottom shelf and the cushion above it are there to be used outside. For a picnic, this is almost essential as almost anywhere you sit on the ground with food, ants will find you. For those who prefer beach chairs, there are two in the front closet by the door.
The front closet also has a yoga mat and a food processor, neither of which has been used in years.
Villa Boyd House Rules
1. IN GENERAL: Make life easy for all of us.
2. SMOKE OUTSIDE: I really don't care what you smoke so long as you smoke outside. My family and all of my guests to date have been non smokers so please respect others and smoke outside.
3. EXTRA PEOPLE: I have no firm rule on extra guests above two. The unit has a Queen sized bed and with furniture moved around a single inflatable mattress will fit and there are ample pillows in the unit. I have single sheets for an inflatable. However the way my granddaughters destroy inflatable mattresses, I would never guarantee I have one available. So if you want me to get a new inflatable mattress, I would charge you $50 to get one and set it up with no extra room charge for the person. If you want to pick one up one and mail it to me, there is no set up charge or extra charge. If you carry one with you, I will have the sheets laid out but you do the huffing and puffing and there is still no extra charge. I may have to change my position on extra people if water use is excessive. So please conserve water.
4. NO OFF LIMIT AREA EXCEPT MY RESIDENCE AREA: My house is situated on about one acre of planted gardens. It was previously owned by one of the founders of the botanical gardens and I have maintained and enhanced the grounds. You are more than welcome to walk and photograph the surrounding flowers and plants. I am always willing to give a tour and tell you all about the species which I estimate to be about 300 different plants. After I describe the flowers to you, I encourage you to pick them to decorate your room. Unfortunately, some will cause an allergic rash if not properly handled so I am happy to advise you about the safe ones. It is almost impossible to kill tropical plants, so pick as many flowers as you like.
5. EATING AREA: Enjoy your food where you like. The floors are tiled. The furniture is durable and the bedding was changed before you arrived. There is additional bedding in the closet in case you spill your nachos in bed. Warning, if you drink too much rum and throw up on the furniture, you will be charged $100 for replacement cushions so drink all the rum you want, just make it to the bathroom in time.
6. HOUSEKEEPING: Clean your own dishes, pots and pans and do everything to make yourself happy. On your last night and day you can skip this task as my housekeeper will clean everything for the next set of guests as we did for you. Some people are fanatics about sweeping and moping floors, some are not. You are on vacation, the choice is yours. If you want to change sheets during your stay feel free to do so and place the used one in the basket in the closet. The same is true for towels. There is no additional charge for using a reasonable number of sheets and towels.
7. TRASH: When in doubt, throw it out. If trash bothers you wrap it in a small plastic bag that you get from the grocery store or from the closet, place it outside your front door and I will take it away. If you fill up your trash can, tie off the black bag and place it outside. I will remove it. If you have any questions or issues, just ask.
8. GATHERINGS AND PARTIES: Lets keep it simple, if you did not know the person before you came to St. Croix, you should not ask them back to your room. This same rule applies for NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans and other large cities. If you knew the people before you came here, of course they are welcome. Just let me know before your event.
9. QUIET HOURS: ??? And unless you really work at being excessively loud, I won't notice.
10. KIDS & PETS: I love kids. So, yes to kids, if there is enough room for you. No to animals. (see EXTRA PEOPLE ABOVE)
11. SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR THOSE CONCERNED WITH THE ENVIRONMENT: Water and Electricity are expensive commodities on St. Croix as all of our fuel is imported diesel which is burned to make most of our power. Water is collected from rain or made by the expensive process of distillation using the heat from burning the diesel fuel. Still, most visitors will find that air conditioning is essential.
For your comfort, there are two air conditioners in the unit. One is set up to run 24 hours a day. The other should be turned off by remote control when you leave the unit and turned on when necessary. On the coldest days of winter, you can turn off both by the switches in the closet. On the hottest days of summer it may be necessary to run both units 24 hours a day. Please keep the doors closed when running any air conditioning.
Water is more than just a cost, it is also a necessity. There is a starter bottle of water for drinking and you should probably use bottled water. I use tap water for brushing my teeth and cooking but drink bottled water. Be sure to minimize the use of water when you shower. Consider a Navy shower where you get completely wet, turn off the water and lather up, then turn the water back on to rinse off. In all honesty, I do take a normal shower but they are generally fairly quick. It is inconvenient when water runs out as it sometimes takes a day to get a delivery by truck. In the past 15 years I only ran out of water once and that was because of a broken pipe when I was on vacation for two weeks.
By the Way, the concern for conserving water and power is the same no matter where you stay in the Caribbean regardless if your host mentions it or not.
12. HAVE FUN and learn to love St. Croix!!!
I am a reasonably fit senior citizen who lives alone (by choice) on the Island of St. Croix. I swim, hike, walk, socialize with friends and enjoy flowers and wine. I love my yard and flowers and spend a few hours a week with my gardener trying to keep it perfect. I love to research history and write books about what I discover and find. I love my family and my rental unit is decorated with family pictures.
My favorite travel destinations are Washington DC and Boston MA to visit my granddaughters. When necessary, you cant beat Florida for medical tourism.