Private & quiet 2014 apartment in updated Old Portland style home just off the center of a Top 10 USA neighborhood (Richmond). Quiet, wide, well-lit street, gated yard, east facing windows, private 24 hour keyless entrance, easy parking. 5' walk to the heart of Division St: Portland's #1 rated restaurant row. Funky Hawthorne district is another 10'. AC, HDTV, Wi-Fi, Cable TV; 2014 Queen bed, and queen futon couch/bed; full kitchen, bath, washer & dryer. Pet/smoke free. City Permitted 2014.
Welcome. We've earned "Super Host" Status every period since we opened, August 2014. We're ranked in Top 100 in Portland (Top 3%) under $125 per night (and far under that price), out of 3200+ total in the city of Portland, by a leading AirBnb ranking website. Unlike almost 80% of the AirBnbs in Portland, ours is legally inspected and permitted by the City; and has been since near the start. We were among the first 5% of all Portland AirBnbs to file and and pay for the City's legally required ASTR (Accessory Short Term Rental) Permit, out of thousands in operation, and had a legal inspection and permit granted. The full permit number, if a rental is legal and has one, is oddly posted by AirBnb under the 3rd section below this one, "Other Things to Note." If you don't see a rental state their permit number as required, they likely don't have one, may lack critical safety features, and certainly risk being heavily fined and shut down by the city without advance warning (many have). Good to know? What else can we tell you briefly that might matter to most guests?
* We ARE NOT as close to Chavez Blvd, or as far south, as indicated on the AirBnb map that "protects" our exact location (protects AirBnb from you more easily seeking a direct transaction with us).
* Our home and the AirbBnb apt are quiet and private without the common nearby noisy heavy foot and vehicle traffic, or neighbors, of many alternative nearby rentals, yet located in the heart of iconic inner SE Portland; 5 minutes walk off SE Division Street (Portland's "Restaurant Row"). Unlike most, our house is not right on the street, or 6 feet away from our neighbors either side. We're 30' back, and 20' from neighbors over the fences either side. So open a window if you like.
* We have one and only AirBnb, here where we live full time. More than 1 is illegal and means the Owner lives somewhere else, also illegal, a widespread practice.
* Easy street parking out front, day and night, unlike most Portland neighborhoods. And 2 City street lights - much better lit at night, safe.
* We live 2 floors above the apt. The 2014 updated apt has extensive insulation installed in the ceiling. We walk across the floor above the apt to reach the kitchen over the apt. kitchen/bath, and our dining room and deck off the back of the house. Most of the time, no one overhead the main area of the apt.
*Simply put, for the cost: Inside this apartment; and outside it on our private, quiet, heavily shaded/treed and landscaped property, and the street and surrounding area - is one of your best choices, in arguably the top area in Portland to live - or visit - for decades (Mid-Inner SE Portland).
*We're about 15-20 minutes from PDX; MAX Train will bring you within 5-10' drive or $8 Lyft ride from our house (or, just take Lyft from the Airport, $25 incl. tip).
*85 Walk Score and 99! Bike Score rated presently, 53 Transit Score. Both the North/South and East West Bus route stops are less than 5' walk away.
* This area is Portland's nationally ranked and recognized travel destination - and also - full time residence, classic Portland neighborhood. The Richmond neighborhood was named as one of the 24 best neighborhoods in the West in January 2014 by Sunset Magazine, and is part of Portland's famous "South East Portland" area just east and adjacent to Downtown. In the June 26, 2014 edition of USA Today, Richmond was named one of the Top 10 in the entire USA. Enjoy walking tree lined streets to retail shopping, cafes, pubs, beer, wine and spirit tasting rooms, coffee shops/cafes (including the original Stumptown), Bookstores (Powell's on Hawthorne), second hand stores (Buffalo Exchange, Artifact), yoga, massage, farmer's markets, food carts (Tidbits Food Cart lot ranks among city's best), the Baghdad restored classic Movie/Beer Theater, and: Portland's best, internationally rated restaurant area "Restaurant Row" (SE Division Street: 2013 Top 10 USA Foodie Street - "Food and Wine" magazine; well over 100 places to eat between 15th and 60th; nationally ranked Pok Pok, Ava Gene's, The Woodsman Tavern, Salt 'n' Straw Ice Cream, Bar Avignon, American Local, etc.).
*About 10' drive west is the Willamette River and the famous Portland bridges into downtown Portland.
*New (June 7, 2017) Natural Grocers chain store, 5; walk away! Across from NG is a huge 24 hour Safeway. New Seasons, Trader Joes, Rite Aide, Fred Meyers, Powell's Bookstore, and new 24 hour 7-11 also very close by.
When we aren't hosting family and friends in our popular location, our GOALS are: to meet or exceed expectations of quality, safety, cleanliness, convenience, privacy, quiet, and comfort, and full self contained full time apartment furnishings and amenities, with reasonable support and easy contact from us, the full time Portland, owner/occupants of this house. We also work to minimize the impact of our activities and guests on our wonderful neighbors, and ask that if you visit, you do the same. We've had singles, and up to 4 people stay here, but 1-2 is most typical.
* Nearby city best parks: Mt Tabor Park; and Laurelhurst Park. Spectacular and loud year around 600 foot tall Multnomah Falls, and Angel's Rest hike, are only about 30 minutes drive away.
*For You? Or Not? We hope that the 50+ pictures and info, will allow you to quickly decide if our popular apartment is a good fit, or not. Also note, we regret that we are unable to conduct a lot of back and forth e-mail discussion on what ifs, or hold dates while you shop around, or make price or security deposit negotiations; or consider any pet or smoking or other exceptions like meetings, etc. We will immediately and politely decline your request. Life is short! We DO NOT spend it online with iffy potential guests.
TOTAL NUMBER OF GUESTS, AGE: guests and pricing: Rates are stated elsewhere, but note we count all guests over age 5 towards the total number of guests for pricing, and whether or not we will consider a guest request. No charge for children under 5. But please do be clear in your request, who all will be staying in addition to yourself, and identify them as babies, children, teenagers, wife, relative, friend, a local friend, first time travel buddy, etc. If it isn't clear to us who exactly is coming, we'll probably Decline you and assume, we do not want to know and you don't want us to either. If you are staying for several days and a person or maybe 2, will only stay a day or two, no biggie, just request your base total number of people and we can make you a small adjustment later - but do let please us know specific info (how many others, who they are, how long).
* Slightly sloping property towards the street, so no hills, stairs, narrow passage ways, pooling water, smells, dampness inside, etc. Actually a rarely found French Drain is installed around most of the perimeter of this house, to be sure it stays dry and clean!
* No dogs, cats, pets, children, motorcycles, or teenagers live/visit here here! (Rarely, kids and teenagers - very rare). None of the latter within several houses of us. So no loud rap music/bass blasting cars or mufflers day and late night that usually accompany those folks and their friends; common in "hip" NE Portland and many other areas. And no nearby construction common to this area. So you'll be able to enjoy peace and quiet and sleep.
* NO basement or mold or old house odor in our basement...not when we bought this house in 2013, nor since. We smelled a lot of bad basements, before we bought this house!
* SAFETY - we have 2 regular full size door entrance/exits! No worry of a thought of trying to crawl up through and out of one of those "emergency exit" windows! Can most folks over age 12 do so easily, or at all!?
DOWNSIDES - WHY NOT TO RENT THIS SPACE?
(1) You want to haggle over price. As mentioned before, please, no. We rent out almost all days we open on our calendar for guests with zero haggling.
(2) You want to bring a wonderful pet. Sorry, No, we do not have one either.
(3) You want to stay over 14 days. Sorry, no, over 30 days is not legal under Portland's Short Term Rental program. We're not in the Landlord business.
(4) You like busy, noisy gritty street and sidewalk action most hours day and night and the following are ok for you: constant car alarms chirping or shrieking, loud stereos and mufflers day and night, train horns, break ins, near zero parking, bike thefts, numerous street people (annoying sometimes, violent rarely), petty crimes, street drug dealing and bathroom use, and occasional gang violence (rarely - shootings) - you will prefer and likely find most of this, closer to the Willamette River/downtown Portland, or the "Northeast (NE)" Portland area. Mostly great folks around there of course, but take extra care in these areas.
* We don't discriminate on anyone with acceptable decent behavior and good references: all quiet, honest, polite, respectful, Verified, nonviolent folks welcome, as they are in most of Portland. We hope you are healthy and happy, and we do want to be able to recognize you, since we don't usually, or want to, stop guests and check their IDs, and we do live here! You see our picture first here already, please let us see yours too.
Whew. We hope that this is more than enough. Few probably read down this far?!
Guests enjoy the entire, private apartment with its own keyless entry, and the outdoor courtyard and sitting area, overlooking a classic, quiet, shaded Portland back yard of huge evergreens, birch, maple, huge Japanese maple, 50 year old wysteria, and more. Easy street parking out front with 2 city street lights. Note that check out time is 11am, and our cleaner is good; and reasonable cost; but not able to wait around to start. If you wish to drop off non-valuable luggage prior to check in, ask for an arrangement.
Our contact information, and that of our two mid-late 20's children who both live within 2 miles, is posted by the door. We are busy professionals with full time jobs, and like to get out on the weekends. We'd love to briefly meet you if we cross paths. We live here full time ourselves, and nowhere else. We respond quickly to e-mail, text and cell phone if asked.
We were among the first 5% of all Portland AirBnbs that were legally inspected and permitted when we paid for the City's then new, legally required ASTR (Accessory Short Term Rental) Permit in Dec. 2014, and were inspected.
Our Permit: 14-248155-000-00-HO.
We paid our Renewal at the 2 year mark (Dec. 2016) and have posted on the wall in the apt as required, a copy of the current 2 year permit. And registered in 2014 with the City and Multnomah County as a business and file our taxes with them as required (in addition to filing with Oregon and Federal government). And duly notified by the required form, SEUL, and Richmond Neighborhood Associations, and our all abutting neighbors, using the forms and as required by City of Portland.
Lots of noisy sewer and home construction/renovations in the area; none right around here!
Unlike homes closer into downtown, or in "hipster/manbun" North East, or Hawthorne, there is no constant stream of outsiders hanging out on the streets. Few pass through here except actual nearby residents. Nonetheless, it is a bad idea to leave any valuables in your car, especially if they are visible, here or anywhere around here, esp. the more retail areas, downtown, parks, etc.
Arrival can be anytime after check in, but please let us know your approximate arrival time, and of any delays beyond 90 minutes, or if you will arrive after 11pm. It is customary here to arrive anytime, and let yourself in the keyless door with the code we provide ahead of time, but we would just like to have an idea of about when you expect to arrive, please. No need to find us, knock on our front door, or notify us when you arrive. There are no pets or smoking allowed on the property, so please don't ask or use cigarettes, etc. or to bring any pet. Vaporizers are welcome, outdoors only, please. Quiet Time please is after 10pm (midnight on holidays and weekends) or before 8am. Check out is 11am. We will not change the cleaning fee to any lower amount. We will not allow a stranger (guest) to "clean" the apartment themselves, to skip the cleaning fee. We have only 4 hours between check out and check in and wish to keep prices and fees low. Please do strip the bed linens and put them and used bath towels in the washer and start the washer; this 5 minutes of your time eliminates 45 minutes of time to flip the place clean for the next guest. If in doubt about any other questions...please ask!
We enjoy living full-time in our Richmond neighborhood home in SE Portland, being very close to work, and within easy walking distance to much of the best and most popular shops, restaurants, parks, and amenities of Portland. We have lived in the Portland area for about 25 years (her) and 15 years, (him), respectively. She grew up in Los Angeles and San Francisco; he grew up in upstate South Carolina. We are professionals working full time. Grace speaks some Spanish. We enjoy gardening, biking, yoga/jogging/gym, walking the neighborhood and area streets, home improvements, attending shows, the Portland Art Museum, camping, hiking, skiing, surfing, eating out, having backyard barbecues and hanging out in the tree-covered back yard. We love spending time at the Mt Hood/Columbia Gorge and Oregon Coast areas that are about 1 or 2 hours drive away, respectively. The Hawaiian islands, Ft. Collins Colorado, and the Asheville NC areas are our favorite long distance travel destinations.