Don, Thank you for your review. I appreciate reviews good and bad, as it helps us improve our accomodations. I would like to go through your review point by point and address each one.
1. You mentioned we are located on the worst side of town, which is totally inconsistent with the truth. Riverside is the prestigious side of town, in ALL of Belize our area was voted cleanest, safest and most quaint, just (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) it and you will see on numerous travel sites. The local flavor of walking the streets any hour of the day and night is what has attracted visitors,families and retirees here. I find that statement way out of character and very inconsistent with the facts.
2. The room you booked did not have cooking facilities, that is entirely true. You could have at any time during the course of your stay mentioned you wanted that, and it would have been done.
3.In relation to your room having corroded taps (are we even talking about the same place) or are you confusing us with another accomodation.
4. Wifi, just installed cable high speed internet, which is fast and efficient, and one of the fastest in the entire country.!! Woohoo!! Yes I will entirely concede the BTL government run internet across the whole country was spotty and faded in and out all the time. It used to drive me insane along with everyone else in the country. So that problem was country wide.
5. In regards to the spa being a secret place no one knows about, I dont want to laugh but have to enjoy the humor, that it is located right next door to your room. Its the elaborate carved door with the sign marked spa. In the front lobby on the bulletin board is the schedule and bookings and the spa attendant also lives on site, which you spoke to.
6. In regards to restaurants it is unfortunate that you spent all the time in your room, and never got out to see and enjoy the town, home made breakfast is available next door at Raquels and brought right to your room, M and J s also has menus in the room, and they deliver, Chef Charlis is very close to the hotel and delivers also, since you did not wish to go outside your room. Had you ventured outside you would have found over 25 restaurants all within 5 minutes or less.
I AM NOT a negative person but can easily sum up what happened here, and its unfortunate, and I feel sorry that this happened to you.
You were told and influenced by another person, perhaps as a joke, which you took seriously that it was unsafe here, and you spent the entire time in your room. Therefore you did not get to enjoy the outdoors and attractions in which we are famous for. feeling unsafe in any country is not a nice experience.
I wish you would have spoken to your neighbour staying in the room next to you, they are a lovely couple in their late 60s, that are staying with us a month. They walk everyday all over town, have made friends with all the locals and love it so much they bought land and are building their home here.
I wish you would have read our reviews here on air bnb, as we have ALOT of single female travelers that chose our place specifically because of safety and the adventure portion. We all enjoy the outdoors here, as it is safer than any North American city. I am an expat from Canada and loved it so much it is the very reason I moved here.
Someone outside playing a practical joke on you, by telling you stay in your room, its not safe outside is mean.
In any event it is a strange circumstance that happened with you, it is also my first negative review, so I must learn and improve upon that. Which I will, by making sure every guest gets a welcome package and orientation upon check in, to make sure something like this does not happen again. (I wish you would have told me)
Yes its true we cant control someone outside playing a practical joke on you by telling you its unsafe and not to go outside your room. But we can upon check in do a more thorough briefing to our guests about what is available in and around to make sure this does not happen again. My apologies that someone scared you into your room, that is a bad practical joke, and even though it is out of our control, I still wish to extend our apologies for your experience and offer you a free weekend getaway and that will also include our spa package, here at the hotel also. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I do once again thank you for your insight and review which helps us improve.