We HIGHLY recommend this house for a quiet, scenic, relaxing get away. We traveled with 3 adults and a 16 month old kid. The house was spacious enough to handle another adult, and another kid -- especially if the kids/adults can entertain themselves outside (terraced patio + 2nd terrace with pool/lawn area). The three bedrooms upstairs are small but comfortable with good beds (2 full sized, 2 twins) -- two rooms have lovely views of the river, and terraces -- all have AC. The kitchen is well equipped for most cooking. Clara and Francisco were available and communicative before our arrival and responded to our questions (via text message) while we were staying at the house. They met us when we arrived, and left us a welcome basket -- and of course the beautiful home to stay in.
Given the lack of reviews, we suspect we might have been one of their first guests -- and therefore we include some helpful tips from our experience:
1) We recommend renting a car. The immediate towns do not have much and grocery stores for provisions are 20-40 minutes away (scenic drives though!!)
2) (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) maps does not provide great directions from Porto (1-1.5 hours). The closest town is Pala, but this does not show up on all mapping websites. The hotel at the end of their road is a good landmark (Douro Royal Valley Hotel and Spa). The final 50-75m of their road before their house is narrow, and becomes dirt -- watch your car tires once it narrows.
3) The best wines are 40min - 1hr away (past Peso de Regua). Try port and table wines. The drive along 222 (on other side of river) is well worth it!!! We also took a train to Pinhao (Mosteiro train station is a 7-10 min drive from house). The train ride is cheap, easy and scenic and Pinhao is a cute town for a day trip, with several Quintas in town (walking distance). We had fantastic meals in Baiao and Folgosa (25-60 min drives).
4) There is wifi through a wireless hub they provide, but it was not great and ran out of credit on our first day – we could not figure out how to reload it. There is a hotel up the road that has a nice air conditioned bar (for a break from heat) -- they allow non-guests to use the bar. It has free highspeed wifi internet, good drinks and great views if you want to get back in touch with the world.
5) Make sure to ask the hosts at check in about appliances, garbage procedures and other assorted details.
6) They have a dvd player and a selection of movies. Bring good books.
7) Relax, cool off in the pool, walk along the river, enjoy watching the river boats lumber by, gaze at stars after an outdoor dinner on the patio, drink amazing portugese wine!!!!