My place is walking distance to BT Murrayfield Stadium, Galleries of Modern Art, Dean Village, West End of Princes St. You’ll love my place because the neighbourhood is safe and quiet yet conveniently located for walks along the Water of Leith into the city centre. We are also within 15-20mins bus ride from the airport and the city centre and 10-15mins walk to Haymarket Station. Our place is good for couples, Edinburgh festival goers, solo adventurers, business travellers, and families.
Aside from the fact that our place is within a few minutes walk to years of Scottish history and culture in the heart of the Old and New Town of Edinburgh, our one celebrity claim to fame is this. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull spent his childhood in our house. Isn't that exciting? Apparently he attended Roseburn primary school where my little boy went to and his mother ran the place as a guest house. That explained the markings of number plates on the bedroom doors which I eventually painted over. When he was in Edinburgh a few years ago, he wondered about knocking on the door to ask to see his childhood home. I wish he did as we would have welcomed him in and given him the traditional cuppa and let him relive his childhood memories with us.
If you are reading this Mr Ian Anderson, you are invited to knock on our door next time you are in Edinburgh.
Guests are welcome to chill out in our drawing room or living room and join us in the kitchen dining room for a cup of tea or coffee and a chat.
I have lived in Edinburgh for over 25 years and love the city and have hosted foreign students and friends and shown them around and about. As a keen walker and cyclist I can offer my service as your personal tour guide for half a day or a day or a week for a reasonable fee. We can do many walks to explore the cultural aspects of Edinburgh or go out of the city to explore the countryside, on foot, on bikes or by car. All possible depending on your preferences and my availability. If you rather do all that yourself, I am most happy to use a map to show you what to do and where to go over a cup of tea and biccies.
Expect the worst, bring the right weather gear and you will have the most wonderful time in Scotland.
- Not suited for those with difficulty climbing stairs
- Guests may use the living room and watch television but not past 10pm.
- Guests may use the kitchen to make tea or coffee and warm up food in the microwave.
- Check in time is after 3pm and check out is at 10am. If guests would like to leave their luggage on day of check out, we can discuss possibility depending on my availability.
- Continental breakfast will be provided including hot Scottish porridge on request.
- Please leave bathroom clean and dry as you will be sharing with others. Please do not take baths as there will not be enough hot water for other guests for follow on showers. Showers can be taken in the mornings from 7am till 10am and evenings from 5pm till 9pm.
Originally from Singapore, I have lived in Scotland for over 25 years. I enjoy travelling as I love learning about different cultures and trying different cuisines. My other hobbies are hillwalking, cycling and table tennis. I can speak Mandarin and Cantonese and has recently retired as head teacher with the Edinburgh Chinese Community School.